Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Some thoughts on partisanship...

A few days ago I was talking to my girlfriend about hosting a debate with the other candidates for my house district.  I had her ask me a few questions that may come up during a debate so I could practice answering them.  One in particular that grabbed my attention was what I would do to stay bipartisan.  I thought a while about this and came to the answer of "why would I want to do that?"

I see all of the partisan problems going on in politics now and everyone is saying they want a bipartisan solution and to end the bickering.  I don't see this as a solution at all.  Our government wasn't founded so we could compromise on every little detail.  It was designed so that enough people would be represented that unless a problem was big enough that every person would benefit from the solution that it would be hard to find a solution.  Our problem isn't too few laws being passed, it is too many laws being passed.  I fully support politicians who gridlock the process and don't allow the frivolous laws to make it the the president or governor to sign.

So far I have posted on issues that everyone can agree is an issue.  I haven't taken up social issues because I feel that we don't really need these things in our government.  Let social engineering happen at home.  We need a government that will take on the real issue of our dead forest, or the economic crisis we are facing, or the energy problems, and ignore the other b.s. that politicians like to fight over so much.

Like I told my girlfriend, I may make a few compromise votes on unimportant stuff to get people onto my side when it matters but I will not waste constituent's time or money on unimportant things when we have real solutions to find.

Robert Petrowsky

No comments:

Post a Comment