Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Political Bio

A little about me:
I am running for the Colorado House of Representatives District 61 as the American Constitution Party candidate.

I come from a small family farm in Kansas and moved to Colorado in 2003 at the age of 21.  Growing up on a farm in the 80s and 90s teaches you a lot about how the economy really works and how economic pressures can influence best practices free from government regulations.

Because of the poor farm prices (corn in 1980s was the same price as in 1914) many farmers were pushed into groups to fight for better prices and less regulation.  My dad was one and quickly joined the American Agriculture Movement started by Gene Schroder and they began working together researching the underlying laws that allowed our federal goverment to plan and regulate individual farms.

I grew up sitting at the law library at Wichita State University highlighting important things from laws and the minutes of congress regarding agricultural planning.  I learned quickly at a young age that there are underlying laws and court desicions regarding them that support the national government taking on the role of a central planner.  People may get mad and shout about the wrong-doing but they will never get anywhere without knowing the history that created te problem.

The culmination of that research came when I was in high school and college and old enough to start participating in things.  My father along with 3 other farmers sued the USDA and President for price fixing, market manipulation, failure to obey parity laws, and other things.  We made it to the Supreme Court fairly quickly.  Facing injunctions against the USDA and massive reparations to the farm community, the highest court had no choice but to review that suit quickly.  To this day we hold the record for the fastest a case has been reviewed by te Supreme Court: 10 days from filing.  We lost based on what amounted to purjury by the U.S. attorney but learned invaluable lessons on how the states could fight these problems.

In 2009 I started working on a ballot initiative for the 2010 general election in Colorado.  It would have revoked a document found in the state archives from 1933 that gave permission for the national government to enact emergency legislation in any area affecting economics including the Agricultural Adjustment Act that we had been fighting.  This bill would have eliminated the underlying emergency legislation and made it a crime for anyone in our state to bypass the Constitution.  Unlike other laws such as the Arizone immigration law, the U.S. attorney's office knew it couldn't be fought in court.  I recieved a call saying I would rot in prison if it passed.

Unfortunately that bill never saw the ballot.  It takes massive amounts of signatures to make it onto the ballot and obviously it takes time and money to go out and get them.  The bill did start a discussion amongst many people about what to do to restore Constitutional freedoms rather than just knowing they were gone.  Coming into the election cycle this year I was blessed to be a member of a party that had just gained major status and was guaranteed a ballot spot.  After speaking to the chair of the party I decided to run knowing the political climate is ripe for Constitutional ideals to return to government.

I hope this gives you a good idea of my political history and why I am running.  I will get into the specifics of my goals another day.

Thank you and God Bless!
Robert Petrowsky

No comments:

Post a Comment