Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Political Bio

As I reach out to the voters, they have been asking why I am qualified to run for the State House so I'd like to share with you a bit about my life and why I can represent this district better than everyone else.
I grew up on a corn farm in Kansas when prices meant farms were a not-for-profit endeavor. While others were learning how to make something work by spending more money, I was learning how to make something profitable with zero money.  I quickly learned that economic pressures could lead to better practices much more efficiently and quickly than simple government regulation.  My family farm switched to no till practices as they came out and turned a profit, we didn't wait to be regulated into it.

Poor prices led my family to join the newly formed American Agriculture Movement.  We lobbied the U.S. Congress for better farm protection. Eventually we started researching how the government had gotten the power to regulate every aspect of American food production.  While others were learning history as written in the school books, I was digging through the actual history in the state and federal archives, helping my father highlight things that were of interest to our eventual Supreme Court case.  I didn’t learn history as (falsely) taught, or that money was the solution to hard problems.  I learned that history has to be researched and that hard work pays off.
When I was in college my father and three others filed the “four farmers” lawsuit.  It quickly went to the Supreme Court, demanding injunctions against USDA price fixing and sought higher prices to ever suffering farm businesses.  While thousand of farmers were complaining, we took action directed toward the root of the problem.
All of this led me to a lifetime interest in politics, not just in the garbage taught in political science classes, but in the true inner workings of a functional government, and the transformation from a republic to the bickering over useless laws we see today.  Two years ago I followed in my father's footsteps and wrote a ballot initiative. For those of you who remember Prop 50, which didn’t quite get enough signatures for the ballot, it was a direct attack at underlying state laws and proclamations that allowed the federal government to operate outside of normal Constitutional bounds and has been seen by the Supreme Court as a de facto Constitutional amendment (West Coast Hotel v. Parish, Wickard v. Filburn). 
I am a student of our Founding Fathers.  I have studied all of the documents pertinent to our early history and have compared what was meant with the long history of the Supreme Court gradually ceding power to our president and legislature.  Rather than just being upset at problems, I have studied how those problems came to be vested in the government in the first place, and how to end them.
After a lifetime of political education based on actual government action, I'm ready for the next step.  I'm young — 30 years old — yes, but it's time for a fresh outlook and new blood in our government.  And so I'm asking for your vote. I am ready to take the government back for the people of this district. You can reach me at PetrowskyforStateHouse@gmail.com.

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment